At least 49 people after eating some chicken and sausage jambalaya at a softball team’s fundraiser, that may have killed one.
According to CBS Louisiana:
At least 49 people got sick after eating the rice and meat dish sold Monday, and 31 were hospitalized, said Department of Health spokeswoman Samantha Hartmann.
“The ages of those with a confirmed illness range from 15 years old to 70.” Doctors expect more illness, because more than 300 plates may have been sold. The gastrointestinal illness occasionally develops a week later, the statement said.
The fundraiser was in Columbia, a town of about 400 and the Caldwell Parish seat.
“I’ve never seen anything like it,” he said. “It’s affected a lot of people, maybe a couple of hundred from my best estimation. “Everybody knows somebody who is sick,” he said.
The health department advised throwing away any uneaten food from the event, including side dishes.
It said samples from five people tested positive for salmonella, and an autopsy will tell whether salmonella caused the death.